Gaining in popularity, Smishing is similar to email phishing but uses SMS based text messages or Facebook/Instagram messages to trick you into taking action.
Example SMS Spam Messages
Facebook Messenger Spam Message
How to protect yourself.
If you are waiting for a the text or it comes within an existing message thread, and you know the source, that does suggest it is real.
If you get a suspicious looking text from a known number, call the number to confirm, before tapping on a link.
If it looks too good to be true, IT IS!
Do not download or install any software send via a text link, unless you requested it and trust the source.
Clean Desk Policy
A clean desk policy incorporates security for both your computer and desk/office space, is easy to implement and an important component of overall company security.
– Set a strong password for access to your system.
– Use the shortcut Windows Key-L to quickly lock your system when you walk away.
– In case you forget, set an automatic lock after 15-30 minutes of idle time.
– Lock sensitive or confidential information in a drawer at the end of the day.
– Use a shredder to destroy confidential information, instead of recycling it.
– DO NOT store sensitive information on sticky notes or under keyboards.
– Lock USB or portable drives away when not in use.
– After use, erase whiteboards that have sensitive information on them.